When a patient chooses a doctor or a hospital, the decision process is often driven, not by quality factors, but by simple geography. Check out these surprising and insightful numbers…
Three recent surveys seem to agree; “location” is a highly significant consideration. What’s more, according to Healthgrades data, “convenient location” is more than twice as important to consumers selecting a physician or a hospital than success rates or outcome data.
Here are some of data points that I recently shared in my marketing talk at the Cleveland Clinic Patient Experience Summit. Many hospital marketers, CEOs and healthcare/patient experience pros at the Summit were shocked that people choose hospitals based upon location and friendly staff vs. quality.
Choice of Physician: Consumers who have selected a physician in the past three years are more concerned about convenient location (62%); friendly office staff (56%); than success rates (22%).
And, for the still-to-be-convinced crowd, the findings run parallel to a prior Healthgrades study about consumer choices:
Factors Most Often Considered When Selecting a Physician
- Whether my physician is covered by my health insurance plan (72%)
- The physician’s office location (69%)
- Which hospital he/she is affiliated with (49%)
- How long it takes to get an appointment with that physician (47%)
Source: Consumer Research: America’s Readiness to Choose a Doctor or Hospital; Healthgrades; Prepared by Harris Interactive; October, 2012
And a third survey—this one by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA)—similarly revealed “location” as one the five most important factors adults consider when choosing a physician for themselves or a loved one:
- Acceptance of insurance plan (83.3%)
- Bedside manner/empathy (60.5%)
- Proximity of office to home, work or school (57.4%)
- Convenient office hours (42.9%)
- Medical specialty (37.5%)
And where do consumer/patients find information? The AOA survey reports that adults use the following top five resources when finding a physician:
- Word of mouth, i.e. family, friends, coworkers (65.9%)
- Insurance provider directory (51.9%)
- Physician rating websites, i.e. Vitals, Healthgrades (22.8%)
- Hospital website (10.8%)
- Consumer review websites, i.e. Yelp (10.5%)
The selection of a physician or medical facility nearly always employs a combination of reasons. And an increasingly informed and engaged public means more people are shopping carefully…and often, close to home.
Taken from https://healthcaresuccess.com/blog/hospital-marketing/6-10-people-choose-doctor-based-convenient-location.html#
When you want to add a physiatrist or are looking for a PM&R position, please visit the Openings page on my website, https://farrhealthcare.com/openings/